With Valentine’s Day not too far behind us, this is the perfect time of the year to remind ourselves that loving yourself is just as important as showing love to others. And more than often, that “special someone” that we have been neglecting is ourselves! Who needs a bae when you can bask in your own gorgeous, smart, and talented self? These tips will help you fall madly in love with yourself and embrace the things that you thought you feared.
1. Instead of feeling like you need a partner to complete you, focus on being grateful for the things and bonds that are already in your life, like your amazing friends and family. These are connections that will be there for you always, and no matter what, and you need to realize that you’re on of those connections too!
2. Look to friends when you’re feeling bad about yourself – when we’re at rock bottom, our friends will always tell you why they love you, and why you are worth loving. When we look in a mirror and see a distorted version of how beautiful we truly are, we need loved ones to remind us.
3. Never compare your story, or ambition to anyone else. Comparing lives (especially on social media). Absorbing all that info is unhealthy, especially seeing as what people post is just a highlight reel of their own lives. Stop scrolling though the mini-feed and understand that all of our goals and happiness is totally subjective, and in our control. It’s all about perception.
4. Stay humble and try not to be stubborn. Learning new things can lead us out of our comfort zone and keep us accumulating new knowledge and wisdom, which are so valuable to self reflection and both knowing and loving ourselves.
5. Accept your flaws. Embrace your weirdness rather than trying to shun it. What makes you a weirdo makes you so unique and lovable to friends and family, so why should it be any different for yourself?