Everyone knows that yoga helps to improve your health in many aspects, such as making you more productive, increasing your positive mood and keeping you calm at the same time. After some practice at home you will be able to feel positive energy everywhere! And your family and friends will notice it too. The main reasons to start practicing yoga at home by yourself are doing it whenever you want without wasting extra time and money! But before you start practicing to the fullest, there are some tips you should know. Start with these 9 pieces of advice to make your yoga sessions pleasant, effective and safe.
1. Create a comfortable space. It is really important to have a private place for yoga sessions that is comfortable, quiet and roomy enough to roll out your yoga mattress. It’s better to choose a space without furniture and keep it clean and light. Ventilate the place often and make sure no one will be able to disturb you during your practices. Turn off all the gadgets and create a peaceful atmosphere lighting candles or burning incense.
2. Choose the best time. If you want to keep your energy levels high throughout the whole day, manage to practice yoga in the morning. Morning is considered to be the best time for yoga sessions. Practicing yoga in the evening can help you to get rid of negative energy and stresses that have been accumulated during the day and refresh your mind. Anyway, try to experiment and find out which time of the day is more convenient for your sessions.
3. Equipment. To prevent injuries and maximize the effect of yoga trainings, you shouldn’t be afraid to invest in equipment. First of all, you need a mattress. It can be found in special yoga supply shops or you can buy one online. Do not forget about mat cleaner so you will keep your mattress fresh and clean. You may also need a yoga blanket, a yoga block and belts – you can use household items instead of buying these items in stores.
4. Your yoga outfit. You don’t need to look like a supermodel during sessions. Your outfit should be loose and comfortable. Also, it shouldn’t restrain wide moves. Get rid of jewelry and try to avoid too much make-up during your session.
5. Get a yoga lesson first. Usually the first fitness and yoga classes are free, so you can use this opportunity to learn the most essential rules. Attend one or two classes and write down the main poses and moves for your next home-based sessions. Then you will have an opportunity to develop your yoga techniques by yourself at home.
6. Prevent injuries. Make sure you don’t injure yourself practicing yoga. Remove all the unnecessary things like children’s toys and furniture. It’s better to do yoga in rooms with hardwood floors. Try not to overdo the exercises competing with your body. Try to respect and love it. And do not hurry, because yoga is not some sort of fitness routine! Do not start with difficult poses if you’re not sure you’re ready for them. In this way, you won’t feel any discomfort and pain during practice.
7. Meditate. This is an important part of your yoga sesh. After your workout relax your body and try to relax your mind and center your thoughts too. There are many different types of meditation and if you’re a newbie, start with the simplest ones. For instance, sit with a straight spine, close your eyes and try to focus on your breath. You can meditate before your yoga workout too.
8. Develop your skills. Yoga is really popular these days, so you won’t find it difficult to get some useful materials and tutorials. Also, there are plenty of mobile apps you can use to develop new yoga skills and track your exercises. Find video tutorials on Youtube and practice multiple yoga poses and breathing techniques with them.
9. Warm up. Warming up is a must-do before every yoga session! If you don’t want your muscles to strain, warm up your body with simple floor poses and then stretch your muscles. There are a huge number of methods and tutorials you can try. Now you’re ready for intense yoga poses. One more important detail: start your meditation and yoga workout on an empty stomach. You can practice 2-3 hours after your meal.