When you’re in your teens and twenties, you feel everything so hard. It’s the first time for many adult experiences. But as you keep on adulting, you stop caring about the toxic things that used to hold you back and be at the top of your priority list, swapping them out for stuff that matters more.
1. Being skinny. Who cares about a few extra pounds? Not you! Eating a donut or having that Sprite at lunch is essential to deal with the stress that being a 30-something.
2. Other people’s expectations and what people think of you. The peak of this feeling definitely came in high school and college, but once you start picking up real life priorities and responsibilities, this hormonal paranoia slowly vanishes.
3. Birthday parties! Throwing that epic rager or having the perfect Instagrammable fine dining dinner with your squad is really not a priority anymore. Throw us a bottle of red and season 1 of “Mad Men” and we’re good.
4. Obsessing over a soulmate. In your 20s you’re freaking out about being alone forever and meeting that perfect person for you. In your 30s, you’re indifferent, and also just down for someone that’s a good guy who actually cares about you. Somewhat perfect.
5. On a related note, the idea that you have “a type”. Yeah , there are traits that you’ll probably like, but you have no idea what your dream man will end up looking like.
6. Being worried that you’re not the life of the party or as adventurous as your could be. Your days of adrenaline-pumping sky-diving and trying MDMA are no more, and thank goodness for that.
7. Always comparing your lives to others. Social media doesn’t exactly help with this, but as you get older and wiser, you stop wondering how she has a husband and you don’t, or how peers have bought a house and you’re still renting. We all reach milestones at different times.
8. Shaving your legs all the time. Ok, by this point your man understands that you are not naturally hairless like a dolphin, and even in the summer, you might skip a few weeks and still rock those jean shorts. So what? Feminism!
9. Turning up every weekend. You’re content reading with bae or going to the farmer’s market. Cozy nights in start taking over, and you don’t even miss the partying. Embrace grandma life – we sure have.
10. Constantly being scared that you’re going to fail. You’ve already experienced all of your “firsts”, so any ensuing breakups, disappointments, and job rejections will be less scary than they were the previous decade. The art of letting go is amazing. With mistakes come learned experience and wisdom!
11. Being obsessed with the hottest newest trends and the latest version of everything. You don’t really care anymore about the hottest new brunch place, or the latest iPhone.
12. Similarly, the hottest new fashion trends are not of importance to you anymore. You’re not really looking at style.com for the chic new runway looks you’d like to try. Instead, you’re scrolling through them on your phone to pass the time while you spend the 5th day in the same black leggings and cotton tee.