We live at a time when most of our daily interactions happen through texts. That’s right, we rarely even call people anymore. We just text everyone. So it’s not surprising that a lot of our dating and flirting also happens through text. When you give a guy your phone number you don’t even expect him to call, you know he’ll text. It takes a bit of the pressure off, since you don’t have to speak your mind immediately, you can take your time and write out a perfect response. But texting boys can be tricky, there’s a balance you have to strike. That’s why we compiled a couple of pointers to help you figure out what you should and shouldn’t say when texting boys.
1. You never want to come off as clingy when texting a new boy. It might be a good idea to avoid texts like “I miss you”, and instead text him something like “Wait till you see what I’m wearing” or “I can’t wait to take you home”. This way you’ll keep him interested and he’ll know you’re thinking of him.
2. Boys like sexy texts and they like to use their imagination. However, as girls, we know we’re not being sexy 24/7. So while we don’t recommend lying to your guy and saying you’re having a pillow fight with your girlfriends wearing nothing but lingerie, when really you’re having pizza and watching a romcom. But you could just say you’re in bed and leave it at that.
3. Keep their ego in check. Don’t reply immediately after you get that first text. Wait a little and then reply with “who is this?” if it’s someone you just met. It doesn’t matter that you’ve actually saved their number and have been waiting to hear from them. Let them think you’ve got better things to do than wait for their text, you’re very busy and important.
4. We all get annoyed with one word answers. There’s nothing more annoying than writing a long message to someone and getting a simple “yeah” in return. We feel for you, girl. But guess what, boys feel the same way, so if he shoots a long text your way, make sure to reply accordingly.
5. We all love pet names, and there’s nothing wrong with them, but it’s always best to hold off using those until way later in the relationship. Just address them by their name and hold off with “honey” and “sweetie” until a later time.
6. Don’t text the guy twice in a row. If he hasn’t responded to your text, just leave it. If he wants to talk to you, he’ll find a reason to. Don’t work too hard to make him talk, it should come naturally.
7. Arranging a date via text isn’t easy. Guys can often be very vague and just say something like “wanna hang out tomorrow?” which isn’t ideal. There’s no place, or specific time or any suggestion as to what that actually entails. But don’t worry. Just reply with “sure” and let them make the next move and specify what they have in mind.
8. Don’t ever say “I love you” for the first time through text. It might sound like a good idea because it’s less scary this way, but you’ll only regret it in the long run. It’s always best to save professions of love for a conversation in person. Otherwise it’s just not that special.
9. Don’t go crazy with lols and emojis. Sure, it’s totally fine to lol at a funny joke he made or send him a wink emoji from time to time, but don’t oversaturate your texts with emojis, no matter how easy your iPhone makes it by suggesting them.
10. Use proper grammar. It’s easy to shorten things when texting, but don’t slip into that ridiculous text speak. Also read what you wrote before texting. Know the difference between “your” and “you’re”. It’s way more fun texting with someone who spells things correctly.