Iskra Lawrence is an English model that’s taking over the world and making a lot of noise in the fashion and modeling industry. She’s the one everyone is talking about these days, and her gorgeous figure has people comparing to celebs like Beyonce and J.Lo and Kim Kardashian, some even go as far as to call her the new Queen B. You’ve probably seen a video of her dressed in only underwear on the New York subway making an empowering speech about loving yourself and appreciating your body and not falling for the weird beauty standards the media is pushing on us. That was epic. But apart from that you probably don’t know much about her, so we’re here to bring you 15 hottest thinks you should know about Iskra Lawrence.
1. Her name, Iskra, sounds a bit exotic, but that’s just because her parents decided to be original. She’s British, as you can probably tell by her accent, and so are her parents.
2. Even though she’s blowing up just now, she’s actually been modeling for about 12 years now. She’s 25, which makes her an old pro in the modeling business.
3. She used to be a competitive swimmer on a national level back in her day and she says she has a suspicion having webbed feet really helped her out.
4. Her first modeling agency dropped her when she started developing curves at the age of 15. They said her hips were just too big. We bet they regret that now.
5. Iskra is against photoshopping and retouching photos. She only posts real photos on her Instagram account and is generally an advocate for real beauty. She also works with Aerie promoting a healthy body image by not retouching photos of models, showing them in their natural state, with blemishes, stretch marks, cellulite and all.
6. She’s a brand ambassador for NEDA – the National Eating Disorders Association.
7. She’s also the managing editor of Runway Riot, a website that celebrates women of all shapes and sizes and as Iskra puts it “is declaring war against the fashion industry and everyone who’s excluding us from it”.
8. She aims to educate. She’s working on The Body Project, which “focuses on getting compulsory self-care and body confidence and nutrition classes in schools.” She’s proud to be part of it and says “I’m going to be a facilitator for the project which is the only recognized course that has seen people improve from eating disorders”
9.She hates the term “plus sized model” and wishes people would stop using it. Iskra thinks it has a negative connotation and basically is used to categorize people by size, which is ridiculous. She says she prefers curvy, or you know, you could just call her a model, after all, that’s what she is.
10. She’s set to take over America. She recently posted a picture showing off her American visa, captioned “My three year visa arrived NY I’m coming for you.”
11.She will not be body shamed by anyone, as you can see by her brilliant response on Instagram.