Back in the Shakespearian times only men were allowed to play in theater plays, so it was very common to have men wearing dresses and wigs, playing female parts in a play. However, it was never like that in movies. By the time films became a thing, women were allowed to act too, so we rarely see men on screen playing women these days. It still happens occasionally though, and it’s always on purpose, because the character is meant to be that way.
We thought it would be fun to see the men who played female roles in cinema recently and see if they did a good job. It’s also very interesting to see their transformation, and compare what they look like normally and what do they look like when they’re meant to be playing a woman. Let’s take a look at the 13 times men played women in movies.
1. Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club
2. David Duchovny in Twin Peaks
3. Eddie Murphy in Norbit
4. Robin Williams in Mrs Doubtfire
5. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot
6. Cillian Murphy in Breakfast on Pluto
7. Rupert Everett in St. Trinian’s
8. Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies
9. Kurt Russell in Tango & Cash
10. Jude Law in Rage
11. Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie
12. Jason Isaacs in Sweet November
13. Patrick Swayze in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar