There are some days where you just tossed and turned the night before, and wake up feeling groggy and puffy-eyed. You come in to work and beg for anything that’’ll help you focus and stop daydreaming – luckily, there are some unusual methods to revitalize you and help wake you up a little more without crashing terribly at the end of the day.
1. Drink bulletproof coffee, which is butter mixed with java! Coffee mixed with butter might sound weird, but it actually works! Only with high quality ingredients, but the combination makes you efficient and apparently boosts your brain!
2. Don’t reach for the pastries. That croissant you had for breakfast is probably why you’re in a slump now! Try a small smoothie or something with fiber that will keep your energy evenly keeled rather than a sugar or caffeine spike that will end in a disastrous trash.
3. Do a quick 5 to 7 minute workout. Jogging for an hour when you’re tired probably won’t do an already tired body much good, but boosting your heart rate with some yoga or jumping jacks can help get the blood flowing and let you maximize your day.
4. Keep some fresh mint on hand because the scent stimulates a biological response that makes you more watchful or observant, which makes us feel more refreshed. Its cooling effect and bright scent can really invigorate you.
5. Instead of having a huge meal or two, snack on smaller meals throughout the day, keeping nutrient-rich fruits and a bag of almonds by your side at all times rather than going to that burger joint for lunch with friends.
6. Do eye exercises at your desk (looking to either corner, up, and down) and make sure that you’re not staring at screens for long times throughout the day. All that blue light can create eye strain, and constantly being on devices will make you feel tired. Download an app that covers your screen in orange light to soothe your eye.
7. Go to your Pinterest “dream vacation” board and pick a place to book. Fantasizing and booking a vacation in the near future, will give you something to look forward too and help you persevere past those Monday blues. The anticipation will actually propel you positively!
8. Eat a bar of chocolate! Candy is a no-no but dark chocolate is a powerful alternative to coffee that will wake you up and freshen up those cognitive skills. It’ll also make you happy, as chocolate is scientifically proven to with flavanoids (like we didn’t already know that).
9. Meditate for 10 minutes. If a power nap isn’t an option, you can help find your inner calm by meditating for a bit. It will help you stay centered when you’re feeling all overwhelmed and tired, and you don’t have to worry about forgetting.
10. Run cold water over your wrists for a couple of minutes, The cooling effect will make you alert because the jolt we feel from cold water released a hormone called noradrenaline which energizes you. Your wrists have a ton of nerve endings, so this will be effective.
11. Turn up the heat in the room that you’re in. A cool room can signify to your body that it’s time to sleep, so you might feel revitalized by layering up or making the room a few degrees warmer so you don’t want to curl up in a ball and go to bed.