Even though we’re in 2017, there’s an unfortunate amount of people who think that there are still certain fields that are designated for only men – “men’s work”, if you will. One photograoher called Chris Crisman came up with the idea, and it resulted in some extremely striking portraits that are as beautiful as they are meaningful. Also, Chris sounds like the ideal woke bae, just saying.
1. A butcher is stereotypically a fat bald guy sweating over cold cuts while he shouts directions to his sons. Well, not in Heater Marold Thomason’s life, where she’s a very self-sufficient female butcher and the owner of Primal Supply Meats. Who says carnage is just for men?
2. The crass New England fisherman with thigh-high rubber boots is also a stereotype of what a “fisherman” looks like – try again. This fisherwoman (really gotta update those pronouns) looks as fierce as Katniss as she grabs a handful of lobster to throw into that bucket.
3. Think all developers are fat cats in suits? Bosslady Alison Goldblum in Philadelphia is a property developer– and still looks put-together doing it, around all that sawdust! Keeping killing it the businesswoman game, Alison.
4. You don’t often see a light shone on woman in the beer industry, but this baddie called Christina Burris is a brewer, and she’s not afraid to get down and dirty with some shoveling. We’re not sure what she’s doing exactly, but it looks intense. She’s a brewer at Sr. Benjamin’s Brewing.
5. You couldn’t pay us to be around muddy pigs for a living, but pig farmer Nancy Poli at Stryker Farms looks like she wouldn’t be happier anywhere else. We think she rocks overalls better than ol’ Farmer McDonald, and her hair still got that Beyonce wind effect. Shoveling pig poop? No problem, we are woman, hear us roar!!
6. If we hear someone say “fireman” one more time, we’re gonna lose it! This firefighter named Mindy Gabriel from Ohio is just as strong (if not stronger…we make babies, right?) Her face is full of character and fearlessness – the way all women she see their challenges in life. We wouldn’t want to mess with her with that axe in hand!
7. A truck driver is a gross belching guy with a beer belly and a one of those CPAS right? Nope! The orange vest stays but this fierce lady is way better than the aforementioned description. Look at those massive wheels! She’s a true pro.
8. Think skinning animals is a job just for men? Sheesh, that’s some pretty primitive thinking, guys. Though she does kind of look like a creepy character from a horror movie, she also kind of looks like a cute hipster gal you’d see un Brooklyn, so here’s to #breakinggenderstereotypes.
9. When you think about woodworking, do you think about sexy lumberjacks with beards and flannels? Well, though that’s a nice thought, but it’s still an offensive and untrue one. Because this Japanese gal in khakis does the same! Mira Nakashami is a woodworker and designer, and her brain can handle way more measurements than ours can!
10. If you’re not sure what a Leach Pad Operator is, don’t worry, we weren’t either! Well, it’s basically industrial mining, and you need to be a tough badass to do it. If Carol Warn looks like anything, it’s definitely that description! She works at Marigold Mining Company, and is a strong and inspiration role model for women all over.
11. Who says that handling rocks has to be for just the boys? Kris Alvarez proves to us that it really doesn’t as she gets down and dirty at the Round Mountain Gold Mine in Nevada. She’s geared up and we even dare to say she might be better than the boys.
12. Being a mill operator is some heavy duty stuff – and Jordan Ainsworth looks like she’s not messing around. For every man-splaining jerk who thinks only guys can operate heavy machinery, take one look at this pic and the look on her face and it’ll prove you wrong.