Sometimes, store-bought exfoliating product can be overly harsh on skin, or sometimes not effective at all. Luckily, mother nature has provided us with some radiance-boosting ingredients that don’t need any chemicals to give your skin a miracle makeover.
1. Papaya on its own is a fantastic exfoliator. And why is that? This is due to the key enzyme Papain, which helps slough dead cells off our face.
2. Baking soda isn’t just useful for cleaning around the house. It removes dead skin with ease while remaining gentle on irritated skin. Make a paste comprised of water and baking soda or mix it in with your cleanser.
3. Brown sugar does wonders and is finely ground, so it won’t be as strong as salt. Sugar also contains trace amounts of glycolic acid, which cleans pores and work on fine lines. Just mix one tablespoon with oil.
4. Ground rice is an unusual exfoliate that is popularly used in Korea, in items such as rice cleansers. Ground rice can absorb lots of excess oil and dead skin cells, keeping your skin radiant. Blend with honey into a paste.
5. Apple cider vinegar has been a miraculous powerhouse for our internal and external system for centuries. Thanks to the natural alphahydroxy acids found in it, dead skin cells fall out with ease. Simply soak a cotton ball with it and apply it to your face and décolletage.
6. Oatmeal is an effective but gentle exfoliator that is optimal for sensitive skin. It contains moisturizing properties and is anti inflammatory as well. Just blend three tablespoons with some honey and organic milk.
7. Sea salt is naturally abrasive and contains important minerals to retain moisture better, promote cell growth, and wake up tired skin. Mix it with coconut or olive oil for a hearty scrub.
8. Ground coffee is also a mild abrasive that won’t damage skin layers underneath. The boost of caffeine helps your face wake up and decreases puffiness while tightening skin and filling it with nourishing antioxidants.
9. Milk might not be abrasive, but due to enzymes in tactic acid, it has the same effect as a peel. Pour a small amount on your palm and massage it into your skin. It is best to use organic whole milk.
10. Lemons and other citrus fruits like grapefruit make for very effective natural exfoliators. Combine this citrus juice with yogurt for an exfoliator that has brightening properties and helps ease the appearance of dark spots.