NYC is known as a huge fashion capital in the world – you’ll never cease to come across creative types serving up looks that are ahead of the trend curve. However, there are some rules that come with these trends. Here are the biggest style lessons NYC taught us.
1. Take advantage of sample sales. Get there early – even though there’s always a line, it’s usually worth it. Sample sales are usually hosted at warehouses, selling epic designer pieces for way less than the average price.
2. You can go to the club in sneakers. Unless you’re going to a high end spot, you can wear a pair of cool kicks by Adidas X Raf Simons, Yeezys, or Fenty Pumas.
3. On a related note, You can get away with dressing in fancy streetwear if you know how to pull it off – this basically means you can go to formal events in sweatpants, so polish this skill!
4. The all black thing is not a myth – after living in NYC for a while, you’ll slowly look down and realize you’ve worn different version of the same black outfit – it’s almost an honorary New Yorker initiation.
5. At the same time, new York City does house some of the most eccentric styles and personalities we’ve ever known, so if you want to wear clashing colors with a cape, you probably won’t get too many looks and someone might even dress weirder than you.
6. Thrift shops are your best friends. Ain many places in the United States, you have to really hunt jus to find one gem. But in New York City, thrift shops house some of the most amazing vintage looks, from old school varsity jackets to couture pieces.
7. You will definitely wear the same pair of pants more than three times a week. New Yorkers don’t have laundry machines in their homes for the most part, so to keep laundromat runs to a minimum, you’ll probably be getting to know your garments well. Learn to mix and match!
8. Even though streetwear is allowed, going out in pajamas is not. You will definitely get judging stares if you do – even the bodega is an opportunity to serve looks.
9. When wearing heels, steer clear of those subway grates. They can ruined your new stilettos that cost a full paycheck, and that’s nothing to take lightly in NYC.
10. Always have a stylish puffer coat for the colder months. NYC is pretty mild, but when a blizzard or cold front hits, you want to be cozy while still looking good. A long, black silhouette with a taken in waist or belt is usually flattering.
11. A blowout makes everyone look better, even on their worst days. That’s why there’s a salon literally dedicated to blow drying in every Manhattan neighborhood called DryBar.
12. Manicures are not a choice. Going around with unkempt and dirty fingernails leaves a bad impression on everyone. Getting a manicure is cheap in NYC, so there’s no excuse to be caught without one.
13. There’s no such thing as a woman who carries just a clutch in her hand in NYC, unless she has a chauffeur at all times ready to pick her up with the rest of her belongings. Usually, you need a gym bag, your everyday purse, your tote with work stuff, a shopping bag with whatever you brought in it, and your lunch.
14. A change of shoes is essential at all times. Office shoes are not comfy, and after one full day of walking to the train, taking the train, working all day, socializing after and coming home to find your feet pinched and totally numb. The commuter shoe is a real thing and you should invest in it!
15. Finally, don’t be insecure about your natural style – let your freak flag fly!