It’s easy to stay active in the summer – the sun is shining, your skin is taking on a golden hue, and it’s hard to find things that aren’t fun to do while burning some calories. But as the weather cools down, so does our motivation to stay fit. Follow these fall fitness tips hold onto that bikini body all winter long.
1. Go experience the leaves changing color by taking a hike at a national park. You can take beginner rock climbing courses or just a casual stroll, to get your heart rate up.
2. Take a bike ride to your local playgroup and use standalone bars or monkey bars to do pull-ups. Cardio and strength training session with a childhood twist!
3. Try out program like ClassPass which let you try classes at various locations. Never tried pilates? Give that reformer a whirl.
4. Fall is that “back to school” time for everyone, whether kids or adults. Try out yoga or tai Chi to balance your chakras and relieve stress, working as a meditative practice.
5. Since the days are getting shorter, it’s tempting to stay inside. You can always fit in a 20 minuet at home workout, experimenting with lunges on your sofa or visiting Hulu for free workouts.
6. Invest in set of resistance bands. This is just as effective as expensive gym equipment as is portable as well.
7. Invest in healthy fall foods while they’re in season – figs, pumpkins, squash, sweet potatoes and apples are all their most delicious in the autumn months, and can help you keep that waistline svelte.
8. Go canoeing or kayaking on a lake, or if the weather is still warmer near you, hit the beach for some workouts and play a game of ultimate Frisbee or volleyball.
9. Join a fall sports league – the start of fall is the kickoff of sports league season, and it’s a great way to get social with your peer group while staying active and never having to pay for a gym membership.
10. Some might see yard work as a chore, but it’s a great way to burn calories, especially if you make it a fun team effort. Rake and bag those leaves for a couple of hours – your arms will be burning afterwards and that heart rate will be pumping.