Scars are a reality of life, whether they come from diseases, accidents, or some other event. Instead of removing their scars, many people choose to turn them into something beautiful. It’s a symbol of the tough journey that they’ve gotten through, and the beautiful transformation they’ve undergone represents perseverance and optimism. Tattoos allow people to be creative and express what they feel through complicated situations like this. Perhaps these tattoos will inspire you to get your own.
1. Here, the scars are turned into a gorgeous full-leg sleeve with blooming flowers and leaves trailing up the leg and a friendly fox perched within.
2. With a lotus style design on the belly button, this tattoo takes advantage of both vertical and horizontal space using the scars and it ends up looking like a piece of body jewelry.
3. This scar uses the texture to its advantage, depicting a blue and black butterfly perched atop a couple of flowers.
4. A scar alongside the leg is turned into a feminine leaves and flower piece with exquisite shading that extends from above the hip down the thigh. This must be great to show off with bathing suits!
5. There are a few plants here — while liles adorn the top part of the calf, leaves and other kinds of foliage adorn the lower leg and the top of the foot like a modern-day Eden.
6. Some chest keloids turn into a row of lovely flowers with soft, rounded petals.
7. Another tattoo that’s proof that flowers and leaves with well-done shading are the best way to disguise scars.
8. This message, carrying an inspiration phrase, is written vertically along the person’s torso.
9. This scar is hidden within the many petals of a larger flower which makes up the center of this shoulder and arm masterpiece.
10. This collarbone tat extends onto the shoulder, using a blend of lighter and darker shading.
11. This person was looking to cover up some old, amateur tattoos and did so with an expertly shaded, large single flower. We love the detail on the one flower versus the usual bouquets.
12. Here, a woman turns red spots on her arms onto beautiful little cherry blossoms in a completely unique take on scar cover-up.
13. The faded, light blue tattoo was turned into a sprawling floral scene on the back of the shoulder.
14. The surprise on this leg scar coverup is the long, wavy leaves that adorn the top of the tat above the flowers.
15. The leaves on these lilies extend up the top of the ankle and down the individual toes to cover scarring detail, which is a creative touch.
16. This scar is transformed into the center of a sunflower, which is the perfect choice for this location below the nape of the neck.
17. Beyond florals, this colorful and vibrant owl is an imaginative way to cover up a scar that takes up a large amount of real estate.
18. A scar down the back of the spine is turned into what looks like delicate wisps of lavender going from the lower back all the way up to the nape of the neck.
19. This scar already looked a little bit like a turtle shell, so it’s only fitting that the person decided to officially turn it into an adorable sea turtle.
20. When someone is “peacocking,” it means that they’re proudly flaunting what they’ve got. That’s exactly what this person is doing with a scar that they’ve transformed into a beautiful symbol.
21. Rather than removing the scar, this person integrated it as the body of the fish in this innovative and playful scar-to-tattoo idea.
22. For anyone who isn’t into a superbly tatted flower tattoo, this sci-fi-inspired dragon eye is a gorgeous way to honor an interest in the fantasy world of dragons.