In a groundbreaking two-hour interview between Harry and Meghan, the reputation of the royal family has been completely flipped on its head. In it, these ex-royals told Oprah the harrowing experiences they had to go through when “Suits” star Meghan Markle entered Buckingham Palace. Most of these devastating and scandalous secrets left our jaws dropped — here are the most shocking ones so far.
1. Harry revealed that when they were in Canada, Prince Charles stopped taking his calls. He explained that at a time when he was “desperate” he had two conversations with his father before Charles stopped taking his calls.
2. Harry and Meg weren’t actually married at that breathtaking ceremony that we saw around the world. They were married in their backyard with their own written vows, and it was officiated by the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby.
3. During Meghan’s pregnancy, the royal family was concerned about the color of baby Archie’s skin, and how dark he would end up being. Meghan and Harry refused to divulge who in fact said this, which made us wonder even more.
4. They revealed that in Britain, the press controls all. And the press stays in the royals’ good graces through an exchange of privileges and benefits. We learned all about their biases when Oprah showed headlines side by side about Kate and Meg’s baby bumps. Kate received praise, while Meg received unkind judgment.
5. The reason behind Meghan’s mental health struggles was due to facing racism and being harassed endlessly by the press. Additionally, she was completely isolated in the Palace, being forced to hide away her issues, and at some times, not even allowed to leave.
6. Harry states that when he came from work every day after Archie was born, he would arrive to discover Meghan crying while she was breastfeeding their son.
7. Meghan revealed the seriousness of her mental health struggles and that she had suicidal thoughts. The interview further details that she had “real and frightening” thoughts and when she asked the institution if she could get mental health help, she was denied. And she was essentially trapped, being forced to hand over her passport, driver’s license, and keys to the royals.
8. Even further, when she reached out for help from the palace’s HR department, they claimed they couldn’t help her, because she wasn’t a paid employee. And that was all after she expressed that she “didn’t want to be alive anymore.”
9. The royals refused to offer Archie a courtesy title and accompanying security, implying that Archie’s life wasn’t worthy of their protection. After the royals stepped back from their duties, they even took away Harry’s security. Meghan and Harry were receiving death threats at this time, making this situation even more dangerous.
10. Harry and Meghan both explicitly communicated that they felt “trapped” and Harry went on even further to reveal the constraints placed on other family members. He said, “My father and my brother, they are trapped. It’s a very trapping environment that a lot of them are stuck in.”
11. Markle confirmed that things are all about appearances with the royals, and said one thing she learned from the family is that “appearances are never what they seem.” No matter what you were going through, as soon as those lights and cameras came on and attention was on you, you had no choice but to fake a smile and pretend everything was fine.
12. Tabloids around the world published stories about how Meghan Markle made Kate Middleton cry. In this interview, it was revealed that things were actually the other way around! The fight was about flower girl dresses for Princess Charlotte, and Meg says it “made me cry and really hurt my feelings.”
13. In terms of Harry’s relationship with his brother William, they currently are taking ”space” from the relationship right now. This makes sense, since William is very much a royal rule-follower who has never stepped out of line.
14. It seems that the royal family were intimidated by or jealous of Meghan’s ability to fall into the duchess role with such ease. Perhaps because she reminded them of Diana, who did things her own way and was adored by the public.
15. Prince Harry made a direct comparison to history repeating itself, referring to the scandal with his late mother. He made this courageous move to leave the Palace after fearing the consequences of his wife undergoing the same pressure — especially with the added factor of social media and racism. During the interview, Meghan even wore one of Diana’s diamond bracelets.
16. On the only bombshell of good news from this interview, we learned that Meghan is set to give birth to a baby girl this summer. The family seems to have found peace on a sprawling California property with their own farm. They even gave Oprah some eggs!